Gay and Straight in Christ is a faith-sharing support group for the members of the LGBT community and their families and friends. We welcome anyone of any faith tradition who would like to gather in safety to share their struggles and joys.
Mission Statement: Gay and Straight in Christ welcomes, supports and affirms LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) persons, their families and friends and those who wish to stand in solidarity with them in Christ. This ministry works to help the LGBT community find and take it's rightful place within the Catholic community.
We meet the second Sunday of every month at 7pm in the Mary of Magdala Chapel.
(Meeting dates subject to change; contact us to check for schedule changes.)
- All gatherings are held in confidence
- A typical gathering begins with introductions and a reading of the Sunday morning gospel.
- Faith sharing follows and other items are discussed as the group sees the need.
- “Gay Catholics find ‘whisper of hope’ in growing ministry” Journal Sentinel, Oct 18, 2014, by Annysa Johnson
For more information, contact Mary Syverson
LGBT Focused Materials
- Building a Bridge: How the Catholic Church and the LGBT Community Can Enter into a Relationship of Respect, Compassion, and Sensitivity
- By: James Martin, SJ
- God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case in Support of Same-Sex Relationships
- By: Matthew Vines
- My Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength, and What Makes a Family
- By: Zach Wahls
- Born this Way (2013) Gay and Lesbian in Cameroon Documentary
- Directed By: Shaun Kadlec and Deb Tullmann
- Bridegroom (2013) Documentary
- Directed By: Linda Broodworth Thomason
- Fish Out of Water (2009) LGBT
- Documentary Directed By: Ky Dickens
- Pride (2014) Biography, Drama, and Comedy
- Directed By: Matthew Warchus